Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Strange Day in July by Jessica Brown

I have seen a lot of things in my life, but nothing like this! But first, let me tell you how I got here.

I followed the Oldsmobile from Irving to Nacogdoches. I have never flown so hard in my life! I think that old woman needs to learn how to drive. My poor wings were so sore after that trip! When the car pulled into the driveway of the summer retreat house, Sally and Mark enthusiastically jumped out of the sedan and ran to the shore of the lake. Mark always loved to show off his swimming in the cool water, and Sally loved to splash in the shallow area. The two stood at the edge of the water. I heard them agree that they would persuade their chaperone to allow them to come back later in the night to swim. I decided to make my home on a branch of a tall pine tree. This tree was perfect for me to watch them. Those kids were going to have fun, but I knew this high level of fascination could only lead to trouble.

After a scrumptious meal, the three individuals went to the shore of the lake, and Grandmother Nichols began to read a romance novel while sitting on a picnic blanket. She was not paying any attention to her young grandchildren as they played. While Grandmother was involved in the plot of her novel, Sally and Mark walked along the shore before jumping in the dark, mysterious lake. I overheard Sally ask Mark to throw three pebbles into the water, one at a time. She wanted him to make a wish each time he launched a stone into the lake. I was intrigued by the boy’s first wish. He threw the rock into the water and said, “I wish for a Golden Retriever puppy.” Immediately after the rock penetrated the surface, he made another wish and threw the next stone. He wished, “I want a new skateboard.” Sally laughed and dared him to make his final wish. Mark exclaimed, “I wish for another week here at Grandmother’s cabin!”

I was shocked when I saw the rock fly through the air, penetrate the surface of the water, and come back at him forcefully, knocking him to the ground. The little kids wailed and ran to the adult. Their cries alarmed Grandmother Nichols, and the three immediately went into the cabin. I followed them to the house but sat on the perch near the dining room window. I could see the elderly person comforting the two little ones. Grandmother looked worried. Mark had a massive bruise on his forehead, and it was starting to swell.

That night, the three family members packed their bags, and Grandmother Nichols immediately called her son and daughter-in-law. She informed them of this odd occurrence, and that they could expect them back into town tomorrow. I was sad to see the family leave, but I am glad that they departed. A week after the Nichols family left, a tornado ripped through the town of Nacogdoches. This horrific natural disaster destroyed the cabin and shredded the wooded environment that Sally and Mark adored.


This story was inspired by The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg.

No comments: